:: Pathum Thani

Pathum Thani is a neighbouring province of Bangkok. It is situated on the Chao Phraya basin with plenty of canals and orange plantations. Its original name is Mueang Sam Khok, which was founded during the Ayutthaya era. It was the settlement for the Mon people migrating from Mohtama (in Myanmar) over 350 years ago. In the year 1815 when King Rama II made a royal visit to this area, the inhabitants offered him plenty of lotus flowers which is the origin of the present name.

The Pathum Thani Town is only 46 kms. from Bangkok. It occupies an area of 1,525 square kilometres and is administratively divided into 7 districts (Amphoes): Muang Pathum Thani, Lat Lum Kaeo, Sam Khok, Thanyaburi, Nong Suea, Khlong Luang, and Lam Luk Ka.

:: Attractions

A tremendous amount of giant oyster shells dating from 8 million years ago were unearthed and piled into a form of a chedi at Wat Chedi Hoi , hence the name Temple of Shelled Chedi . Each shell weighs at least 1 kilogram.


Within the compounds of Wat Pued Udom (Thriving Plant Temple) are pavilions with various sculptures depicting heaven and hell and a museum containing historical artifacts. The ubosot houses a replica of Luang Phor Sothorn, a highly revered Buddha image in Chachoengsao.

 

The Wat Phra Thummakay Buddhist Meditation Center , or Wat Worani Thammakayaram, occupies an extensive area of 196 rais with a pleasant and jungle atmosphere ideal for practicing meditation.

Nearby is Thailand's largest, international standard wholesale and retail market. The Talad Thai (Free Market) sells food products and all agricultural products, including fruits, vegetables, cut flowers, and potted plants.

Located on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River, a 16 th century Mon-style chedi (pagoda) and a white jade Buddha image enshrined in the ubosot are the main attractions at Wat Chedi Thong (Golden Chedi Temple).


:: City Attractions

Wat Hong Pathummawat This is located on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River in the town. It was constructed by the Mon immigrants in 1764 during the reign of King Taksin. The chedi and vihara are replicas of the ones at Hongsawadi City. The fish sanctuary in front of the temple attracts many tourists during holidays.

City Pillar Shrine This is located in the compound of the City Hall. It was constructed in 1977 as a four-gabled pavilion housing the city pillar and statues of the gods Narai and Vishnu. On one side is enshrined a Buddha image of the Sukhothai style in the attitude of Subduing Evil.

Wat Chinwararam This temple, originally called "Wat Makham Tai”, is located on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River slightly opposite the mouth of Khlong Rangsit Prayunsak in the vicinity of Amphoe Mueang. The main interests are mural paintings depicting the story of " Phra Chao Sip Chat" or Lord Buddha's ten lives with poetic descriptions.

:: Khlong Luang

Dream World Situated on Km.7 on Rangsit-Ongkharak Road, a 10 minute drive from Don Mueang Airport, this is an extensive fun land consisting of a European style plaza, miniature land of the major world legends and exciting playing machines. It is open daily from 10.00 a.m.-5.00 p.m. On holidays, it is open until 7.00 p.m. Call 0-2533-1152, 0-2533-1447, 0-2533-1449 for further information.

Thung Rangsit This flooded grassland at Tambon Khlong Nung, Amphoe Khlong Luang attracts many migratory birds escaping from the cold climate zones, such as the Rubythroats, the Blue Throats, the Bush Warblers, Crakes and Rails.

Wat Worani Thammakayaram This monastery, better known as the Meditation Practice Centre, is located in Tambon Khlong Sam, Amphoe Khlong Luang, 5 kms. from Pahonyothin Road. The temple occupies a pleasant and extensive area with a jungle atmosphere suitable for practicing meditation.

:: Sam Khok

Wat Sing This first Mon style temple of Pathum Thani is located on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River, 3 kms. from the township area. It houses Luang Pho To, an Ayutthaya style gold covered Buddha image in a rare mara posture and Luang Pho Phet, a reclining Buddha image. The monk's former quarters has been turned into a museum for Mon antiques along with a teak reproduction of a Lord Buddha footprint and a bedstead utilized by King Rama II during his visit to Sam Khok. The villagers living around the temple produce old style Mon bricks, famous products of Pathum Thani.

Wat Phai Lom This temple is located on the east bank of the Chao Phraya River in Amphoe Sam Khok. The Asian Openbills migrate from India to lay their eggs here from November to May. Other kinds of migratory birds include the Black-capped Kingfishers, the Spot-billed Pelicans and the Black-headed Ibis.

Wat Chedi Thong This temple is located on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River in the vicinity of Amphoe Sam Khok, 8 kms. from Pathum Thani Town. There is a Mon style pagoda approximately 160 years old and a white jade Buddha image enshrined in the ubosot.