:: PICHIT

Situated in the Lower North some 345 kilometres from Bangkok, Pichit is accessible by both road and rail. Nurtured by two rivers, the Yom and the Nan running parallel to one another north to south, the land is agriculturally fertile. Once the site of an ancient town dating back almost a thousand years, Phichit has played a major role in the history of both Sukhothai and Ayutthaya.

Known as the land of the crocodiles, it has been home to this ferocious reptile which has thrived in its waters. There are today, several fresh-water crocodile farms. Phichit features in the Thai epic Krai Thong composed by King Rama II, which tells of Chalawan, a powerful crocodile king.

:: Attractions

Situated on the western bank of the Nan River, close by the provincial hall, is the province's principal temple, Wat Tha Luang. Built during the reign of King Rama III, the bot houses the sacred Chiang Saen-style Luang Phor Phet Buddha image which was brought down from the north by a former Sukhothai ruler. The gilded, golden image is highly revered by the townspeople

Slightly out of town is another ancient temple, Wat Nakhon Chum. It was originally the site where a traditional religious ceremony was conducted. The temple houses a Buddha image built in the Sukhothai era, about 800 years ago.

Wat Po Pratub Chang is an ancient 18th century, Ayutthaya-style temple enclosed by a wall. It was used by King Narai the Great as a campsite for his troops on a northern expedition. It was also the place where King Phra Si Sanphet VIII, or King Sua (Tiger), was born.

The Bung Si Fai (A Lit Lake) is the nation's third largest lake with an area of 12,000 rai and water throughout the year, serving as an important fish-breeding site. Lotuses are grown on the outer perimeter for picking and selling. Aside from being a picnic area, it has a center displaying the various types of freshwater fish.

Another attraction is the Phichit Crocodile Auditorium , constructed in the shape of a huge crocodile, since Phichit was once full of crocodiles.

Located on the Phichit-Taphan Hin Road south of town, the chapel of Wat Khao Rup Chang was built on a hilltop where white rocks stack up forming an elephant figure. A walking Buddha and replica of Lord Buddha's Footprint is housed in this temple.

Slightly out of town is another ancient temple, Wat Nakhon Chum. It was originally the site where a traditional religious ceremony was conducted. The temple houses a Buddha image built in the Sukhothai era, about 800 years ago.

The Phichit Historical Park enhances the antiquated feeling by having undergrowth and various sorts of trees growing naturally. Highlights include the Chalawan Cave, the Chao Mae Srimala Shrine, and sculptures of various important characters from the'Kraithong' folktale. Excavation from the remains of Wat Mahathat's chedi unveiled pottery and Buddha images from various eras.

Previously called Wat Wang Tako, Wat Hiranyaram (Wat Bang Khlan) is located on the banks of the Nan Kao River. It features an interesting antique collection, with most pieces obtained from donators.

Among its attractive building is the Nakhon Chai Bavorn Museum , a two-story structure containing the life-size, bronze statue of Luang Pho Ngern, a highly revered Buddhist monk who resided at this temple during Buddist Lent. This museum is the site of the first, and only, museum in Phichit.

:: City Attractions

Bung Si Fai   is a large fresh-water lake to the south of town. It is a Fishery Department's facility for breeding fresh-water fish. Along the banks is a delightfully landscaped park suitable for rest and recreation. The scenery is at its most scenic in the early morning and late afternoon. On the other side of the park is an aquarium exhibiting species of native fish and local fishing equipment. An eye-catching sight is a gigantic, crocodile-shaped structure, in which is space that can be used for meetings.

Built on the Westbank of the Nan River within town limit in 1845, Wat Tha Luang  today houses Luang Pho Phet , a Chiang Saen-style Buddhist statue cast in bronze.

About 7 kilometres from town on the Phichit-Wang Chick road (no. 1068) is Utthayan Muang Kao Pichit. The park features an ancient town dating back more than 900 years. Most of the structures discovered were built during the Sukhothai and Ayutthaya periods, when the old town was surrounded by city-walls and moats. During the Sukhothai period, it was called Muang Sa Luang, and was situated on the original bank of the Nan River before the river changed its course. This change was the main reason why the town itself was moved to the new bank circa 1881, during the reign of king Rama V. In the town centre is Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat with its large bell-shaped Chedi, inside of which have been found hundreds of votive tablets. In front of the Chedi are the remains of a Vihan. There are scores of small Chedis scattered around the site.


Wat Nakhon Chum
is some 9 kilometres from town on the Phichit - Wang Chik road. Built in the Sukhothai period about 800 hundred years ago, it features an old Ubosot built with brick and mortar with the upper parts in wood. Instead of windows, there are narrow openings for ventilation throughout the walls, similar to temples of the Ayutthaya period. In the Ubosot is a large Sukhothai-style Buddha statue, once used as the principal statue in oath-taking ceremonies pledging allegiance to the monarch.

Wat Khao Rup Chang is located along the Phichit-Taphan Hin road some 15 kilometres from town. On the hilltop is an old, Ayutthaya-style Chedi built of bricks but with its top part now broken. There is also a Mondop, the wall murals of which have largely faded away. The Mondop houses a bronze Holy Relic.