The easiest and fastest way to get to Koh Samui directly is to fly with the Bangkok Airways (BA). The flight time from Bangkok is about 80 minutes. BA also offers flights from U-Tapao (near Pattaya), and Phuket. If you want to fly Thai Airways International , the flight is from Bangkok to Suratthani and the journey continues by car to ferry pier and then by boat ferry to Koh Samui.
The Koh Samui Airport is unique in its design where the facilities are in open-air buildings like bungalow-resort integrated, surrounded by tropical flower garden. The airport is located in the northern part of the island near Bo Put beach. It was constructed in 1984 and opened to serve the first flight on April 25, 1989. Samui airport is now upgraded to customs airport. The improvement includes immigration facilities, customs services, and new passenger terminals to facilitate direct international traffic to Samui.
By Train :
Travelling by train from Bangkok railway station (Hua Lampong) to Suratthani will take about 12 hours. Air-conditioned first class with private sleeping (double deck beds) costs about 1,000 baht for one way trip. This is one-third of the plane ticket. Many travel agencies in Thailand offer cheap combination tickets train/ferry or bus/ferry from Bangkok to Koh Samui.
By Bus :
Travelling by bus can be made as follows:
1) Get on the VIP Bus (24 seats) at the Southern Bus Terminal, travel to Suratthani Province, a distance of 668 kms or 415 miles. The bus leaves daily at 20.00 hrs and arrives Suratthani at 05.00 hrs. The fare is 590 baht (about US.$ 13.7) per person. For more information please call (662) 435-1200, 435-1199, 434-7192.
2) Take the bus at Suratthani bus terminal to Don Sak. There are many buses running daily.
3) Take the ferry at Don Sak to Koh Samui. The Samui Ferry departs Don Sak at 08.00, 10.00, 12.00, 14.00, 16.00, 17.00, 18.00, and 19.00 hrs. The fare is 45 baht (non air-con), and 65 baht (air-con). For more information, please call (6677) 371-151, 371-026.
4) On the way back from Koh Samui, the ferry departs Koh Samui at 06.00, 08.00, 10.00, 12.00, 14.00, 15.00, 17.00 and 18.00 hrs. Please check the departure pier upon your arrival at Don Sak.
5) From Don Sak side, visitors can return to Suratthani and continue the trip either by bus, train, or plane. For visitors who want to go to Hat Yai there is a bus service provided by Punthip Co.,Ltd. Tel.(6677) 421-221, 421-222 at Koh Samui, The air-conditioned 45 seat bus leaves from Nathon, Koh Samui at 07.30 hrs for Don Sak, Nakhon Si Thammarat, and arrives Hat Yai around 15.30 hrs. (The fare is 270 baht each, including the ferry from Koh Samui to Don Sak).
6) For visitors going to Kuala Lumpur (KL), there is Malaysian Bus Service, air conditioned, 32-seat, leaving from Hat Yai Bus Terminal at 18.00 hrs and arriving KL at 05.00 hrs. The fare is 450 baht per person. For reservation call Hat Yai at :
(6677) 272-230, or (6677) 272-906.